Vertical Frame Line Horizontal Frame Line
AAPCC Help LogoCall 1-800-222-1222
Vertical Frame Line
Fist Aid for Poisoning

What is a Poison?

Poison Centers

1-800-222-1222

Poison Prevention
Prevent CO Poisoning
Summer Safety Quiz
Adult tips
Child tips
Teen tips
Brochure
TV announcement
New PSAs
Adult Education Program
Preschool Educ Program
New Posters
Poison proof your home
Order materials

Poisoning Statistics

National Poison Prevention Week

About the AAPCC

Press Room

FAQs

Links

Learn the Poison Prevention Jingles

Navigation Bar Space

Poison Tips for Children

What is a poison?

  • A poison is something that makes you sick or hurts you if you eat, drink, touch or smell it.
  • Poisons can be SOLID. Solid poisons can be chunky or chewy like pills, batteries, plants, and berries.
  • Poisons can be LIQUID. Liquid poisons can be creamy, blobby, or like water. They can be any color. Some liquid poisons are floor cleaners, antifreeze for the car, cough syrup (if you take too much), and lamp oil.
  • Poisons can be SPRAYS. They can be in a spray can or bottle. The spray can get in your eyes or in your lungs if you breathe it. Some kinds of spray poisons are furniture polish and bug spray.
  • Poisons can be INVISIBLE. You canít see it, or smell it, or touch it. Invisible poison can be found almost anywhere that something is burning. It can be mixed in with smoke or can come out of the back of a car or bus when the engine is running. 

What does a poison look like? 

  • A poison can come in pretty colors. It can come in many shapes and sizes. It can be invisible.  A poison can smell good. It can also taste good. A poison can even look like something good to eat or drink. 

How can you get poisoned? 

  • You can get poisoned by eating, drinking, touching, or smelling something that can make you sick or hurt you. Some things, like medicine, can make you sick if you take the wrong kind, or if you take too much. Always ask a trusted grown-up before you take any medicine. Never put anything in your mouth if you are not sure if it is safe to eat. Ask a grown-up first! 

Where are poisons found? 

  • Poisons are everywhere. They can be found in your garage, in your kitchen, in your bathroom, or in any room in your home. They can even be found in Grandmaís purse! Poisons can be found outside, like some plants, berries and mushrooms. 

What can you do if someone gets poisoned? 

  • If you think you got into a poison, tell a grown-up right away! They will call the Poison Center. The Poison Center will tell them how to help you. If you think your Mom or Dad, or your brother or sister, or even your friend got into a poison, you can call the Poison Center too. Learn the Poison Center's phone number: and make sure you have the number of the Poison Center on or near the telephones in your house.

How can you stay safe from poison? 

  • If you donít know what something is, do not put it in your mouth. Always ask a trusted grown-up first. 
  • Never take medicine unless a grown-up gives it to you.
  • Some plants and berries are poisonous. Always ask a grown-up before you put them in your mouth.
  • Always let grown-ups use spray cans and bottles. You should not touch or play with them! 
  • Stay away from things used to clean your house, clothes or car.

 For more poison prevention and first aid information call .

This sheet is made available through the financial support of Health Resources and Services Administration Maternal Child Health Bureau.